10 Reasons to Shop In North Ouachita Parish
Before you head away from the area to do some shopping, consider the following.
1. Buying locally keeps the local wealth local- Several studies have shown that when you buy from an independent, locally owned business, rather than a national business, more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses and providers, thereby strengthening the economic base of the community.
2. Local businesses support community groups- Non-profit organizations receive an average 250% more support from smaller business owners than they do from large businesses.
3. Buying locally preserve the uniqueness of our community- Where we shop, where we eat and have fun -- all of this makes our community home. Our unique local businesses are an integral part of the distinctive character of this place.
4. Buying locally creates more good jobs- Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally and provide the most jobs to residents.
5. Local businesses give better service- Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and these folks take more time to get to know you as a customer.
6. Buying locally invests in the community- Local ownership ensures that important decisions are made locally by people who live in the community and who will feel the impacts of those decisions. Local businesses are more invested in the community’s future.
7. Buying locally puts your taxes to good use- Compared to national stores, locally owned businesses recycle a much larger share of their revenue back into the local economy, thereby funding local improvement needs.
8. Local businesses cater to your tastes- Local businesses select products based not on a national sales plan but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers. This guarantees a much broader range of product choices that cater to local tastes and local needs.
9. Buying locally reduces environmental impact- Locally owned businesses can make more local purchases. Local purchasing means less transportation needed which means less congestion and pollution.
10. Buying locally is good for your health- It is now well known that happiness and a good attitude contribute to your physical health. You are more likely to get to know and become friendly with the owners and staff of a local business than you are the employees of a national business. When you know and like the owners and staff, you look forward to seeing them and you feel better about making your purchases- happiness that promotes well being.
Guy MillerPresident, Sterlington Chamber of Commerce